Stephen A. Wagner
Attorney Stephen A. (Steve) Wagner is a partner at Comstock & Wagner and has devoted his entire legal career to the practice of California Family Law. Steve is a California board-certified family law specialist and, in addition to his family law practice, he has taught family law at Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria since 2012, and helped found the paralegal education program there.
Steve joined the firm founded by his mother in 2011 after a stint at a global S&P 500 company. Although he enjoyed his previous position, he was eager to use his education and experience to make a difference for clients on a more personal and impactful level. As he observes, "Family law requires practitioners to stay current in numerous areas of law; not only the Family Code itself, but also tax law, bankruptcy law, estate planning, and even criminal law. The intellectual challenges (of practice) are only surpassed by the personal satisfaction I find in working with people when they need help the most. It doesn’t get more personal than family law."
Colleagues describe Steve as a very analytical and academic attorney who loves the complexity of the law. He has a reputation as a fierce courtroom advocate, and has been retained by other attorneys and legal professionals after they have observed his work in court on behalf of other clients.
Though he is proud of being tenacious in pursuit of his clients' interests, Steve understands that there is more to the practice of family law than being aggressive. He knows that his clients are going through one of the most difficult and overwhelming experiences of their lives, and he takes care to demystify the legal process and to be available to clients when they need him.
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Division of Property
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Columbia University, Master of Science, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Harvard University, Master of Liberal Arts, Information Management Systems
- Boston University School of Law, Master of Laws in Taxation
- University of La Verne College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Cal Poly, Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Professional Certifications and Honors
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, listed as one of the Top Ten Family Law Attorneys in California
- Pro Bono Service Award, Santa Maria Veterans Treatment Court
Memberships and Associations
- Harvard Club of Santa Barbara
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Santa Maria Legal Professionals Association (featured speaker in 2016; taught continuing legal education course on legal ethics in 2015)