Attorney Marie Comstock is the managing partner of Comstock and Wagner. She co-founded the firm in 2011, with the goal of providing skilled and compassionate service to family law clients in Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County, and the Central Coast. Prior to becoming an attorney, Marie was a professor and department chair of the Business Department at Allan Hancock College. She remains involved with the college, now teaching legal subjects in addition to maintaining a full-time family law practice.
Marie chose to concentrate her practice in family law because it offers an opportunity to make a real difference in the lives and futures of her clients. Although she has handled hundreds of California divorce case, she observes that no two cases are the same, because the people involved and their needs are different. Marie takes pride in getting to know her clients as individuals and in understanding their goals before working together to develop a "road map" for their legal matter. She believes that educating her clients about the law and empowering them to make good decisions leads to greater satisfaction with the outcome of their case.
Clients and colleagues appreciate Marie's thoughtful approach to her cases and her extensive knowledge of California family law. She strives to help her clients resolve their cases through settlement whenever possible. When settlement is not in a client's best interest, she is a capable and tireless advocate in the courtroom, with a singular focus on meeting her client's needs.
Marie is a sought-after public speaker, and has served as a featured speaker for the Santa Maria Legal Professionals Association, for which she has also taught a continuing legal education course on legal ethics. She is also qualified and has served on myriad occasions as an attorney for minor children, as appointed by the Superior Court of California.
Marie enjoys practicing law in partnership with her son, Stephen A. Wagner, noting that their complementary strengths help them to effectively and efficiently serve their clients.
- Family Law
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Division of Property
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Concord Law School, J.D. (2010)
- University of La Verne, D.P.A. (1994)
- California Lutheran University, M.B.A. (1987)
- California State University, Long Beach, M.A. (1977)
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. (1974)
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Professional Certifications and Honors
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, listed as one of the Top Ten Female Family Law Attorneys in California in 2017
- Pro Bono Service Award, Santa Maria Veterans Treatment Court
Memberships and Associations
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Northern Santa Barbara County Bar Association