Burke H. Nelson
Attorney Burke Nelson joined Comstock & Wagner in 2016 as an associate. He concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of divorce, child custody, child support, and spousal support issues. Burke's practice is driven by a fundamental desire to help people. His need to be of service to others led him first into the field of public health, including work at Children's Hospital in Los Angeles with homeless youth, and then into the field of law.
Burke enjoys family law because it gives him the opportunity to work for others in a way that makes a real difference in their lives. He says that he didn't choose to practice family law so much as family law chose him; going through his own divorce helped him realize what a difference the right attorney can make for a client at a crucial point in their journey. He often draws on his own experience as a single parent of young children when counseling his clients during their family law matters.
Clients appreciate Burke's empathy and the sense that he truly understands their needs, as well as his ability to calmly help them navigate the rocky terrain and emotional minefields of their divorce and custody cases. Many people have reported that Burke's calm and steady demeanor has helped them feel at ease in the emotionally-charged atmosphere of their family law matter.
In addition to being a supportive and grounding influence, Burke takes pride in achieving good results for his clients so they can move forward successfully with their lives. Colleagues note Burke's strong advocacy and negotiation skills and his straightforward, honest communication with clients and other legal professionals.
When not practicing law, Burke enjoys playing the electric bass, attending concerts and the theater, cooking, playing soccer and softball, going to the beach, and spending time with family and friends.
- Loyola Law School, Juris Doctor (J.D.) (2002)
- University of California at Santa Cruz, B.A. in American Studies and Psychology (1990)
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
Professional Certifications and Honors
- American Studies Major Honors and Senior Thesis Honors from UC Santa Cruz
- Public Interest Law Fellowship awarded after law school