The Premier Family Law Firm of the Central Coast

How Do I Start the Divorce Process in California?

A divorce is officially commenced by the filing of a divorce petition and summons in court for the California county in which you live. The petition and summons must then be served on your spouse, who will have 30 days to answer it. You will need to file a proof of service with the court. You may also need to file other documents if you have minor children, including the Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, the Child Custody and Visitation Application Attachment, and the Property Declaration.

Meet Our Partners

Marie Comstock's Profile Image
Marie Comstock Marie Comstock is the managing partner of Comstock and Wagner. She co-founded the firm in 2011, with the goal of providing skilled and compassionate service to family law clients in Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County, and the Central Coast. Prior to Read More
Stephen A. Wagner's Profile Image
Stephen Wagner Stephen Wagner is a partner at Comstock & Wagner and has devoted his entire legal career to the practice of California Family Law. Steve is a California board-certified family law specialist and, in addition to his family law practice, he has taught… Read More

See Our Team

For More Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.